As part of the 2018 Australian Heritage Festival, the Supreme Court is marking the 90th anniversary of the Former High Court building located at 450 Little Bourke Street with an exhibition in the Supreme Court library. As well as details about well-known cases and the building itself, on display is the ceremonial hat, gloves and shoes of the distinguished jurist Owen Dixon. These items are over 60 years old.
The first case was heard in the Former High Court building, before the full bench of the High Court in Court 1 on 20 February 1928.
Built when Melbourne was still the administrative capital of Australia, the building was designed by John Smith Murdoch. It was the home of the High Court of Australia for fifty years. Important cases were researched in its library and heard and decided in its courtrooms. From the 1970s until the 1999 the building was home of the Federal Court of Australia. During the 21st Century it has been used exclusively by the Supreme Court of Victoria.
You can pick up a specially commissioned booklet that details the history of the building and some of the famous cases and jurists associated with it. The booklet is available in the Supreme Court Library.
More information about the 2018 Australian Heritage Festival can be found here.