- Library Services
Residential Tenancies Victoria Research Guide
This guide lists the resources that are most relevant to residential tenancies Victoria research.
The Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (Vic) provides protection for all Victorians living in rental accommodation. The Act outlines the rights and obligations of the following groups:
- Residential tenants, landlords and property managers
- Residential parks or caravan park operators
- Retirement village operators
- Rooming house or boarding house operators
The Residential Tenancies Amendment Act of 2018 was passed by the Victorian Government on 7 September 2018 and outlined over 130 changes designed to make renting fairer for all. Some of these reforms were introduced in stages beginning in April 2019 and all other amendments commenced on the 29 March 2021. These changes are contained within the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (Vic) and the Residential Tenancies Regulations 2021 (Vic).
Recent changes within the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (Version 100) include:
- Better electrical safety standards: s64A; s68B; s69; s142BA
- Allowing renters to make minor modifications to the property: s64
- Allowing pets in rental properties: s71A
- Bond to be capped at 4 weeks rent: s31
- Compensation for residential park closures: s215A
- Suppression of rooming house details: s94G
The Residential Tenancies List of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) hears disputes between:
- Tenants and landlords
- Residents and caravan park owners
- Residents of rooming houses and their operators
- Tenants and the Director of Housing
- Residents in the Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) as set out in the Disability Act 2006 (Vic)
- 1 of 2
- next ›
- 1 of 2
- next ›
AustLII provides Australian case law including appeal cases relevant to residential tenancy. VCAT decisions from 1 July 1998 are available, including decisions relevant to residential tenancy. AustLII is free.
JADE^ provides Australian case law including appeal cases relevant to residential tenancy. VCAT decisions from mid 2014 are available, including decisions relevant to residential tenancy. Case law and legislation is free. Premium access provides provides greater search functions.
Victorian Reports* provides access to authorised law reports including Victoria Supreme Court of Appeal cases relevant to residential tenancy. Case catchwords and citation information is free. Pay per view or subscription is required for complete access to the reported case.
^charges may apply (premium service only)
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Resources
The COVID-19 pandemic impacted many in the community causing economic, financial and mental distress. To protect vulnerable Victorians the Government introduced a suite of temporary measures such as a moratorium on rental increases and evictions, stimulus packages for businesses, homebuilder grant, pandemic leave disaster payments, food relief, land tax relief for residential and commercial landlords and temporary housing for the homeless.
- Consumer Affairs Victoria: Coronavirus (COVID-19) and your rights
- Housing Vic: Coronavirus (COVID-19) information and support for public housing renters
- Justice Connect: COVID-19 response
- Justice Connect: Resources for people affected by COVID-19
- Practical Law Commercial Real Estate: COVID-19 Residential tenancies in financial distress. Key Australian legislation and legislative instruments
- Tenants Victoria: COVID-19 new guide for renters on temporary tenancy law changes during the pandemic
- Victoria Department of Health and Human Services: Coronavirus hotline and updates
- Victoria Legal Aid: COVID-19 Coronavirus topics