Legal alerts allow you to stay up to date in your area of interest, notifying you of new books, journal articles, and judgments, legislative developments, and changes to resources. They also provide handy summaries of changes.
Advantages of alerts
- Set and forget
- Keep track of changes
- Saves you time – don’t have to search across multiple resources
- Stay connected to legal issues
Types of alerts
- Bulletins – brings together different types of information like a newsletter
- Contents page – table of contents for the latest issue of a journal or other publication
- Saved search – tells you when anything new is added to the results list of a search
- RSS – notifies you when a web page has been updated
- Publication updates – alerts you to changes to a resource such as a commentary service
- Social media – follow the latest issues, local and worldwide. Interactive – receive and share information
- The Law Library of Victoria Bulletin
- Jade^ – create account – go to ‘My Jade’ then ‘Digests’ – select RSS, or ‘My Jade’ – ‘Alerts’.
- High Court of Australia Bulletin and Judgment Summaries
- High Court of Australia Overseas Decisions Bulletin
- AustLII - RSS feed available on the cases page for each jurisdiction
- Victorian Reports publications* – under ‘My Account’ select ‘Notifications’
- Victorian Legislation Update – ‘Legislative information’
- TimeBase National Legislation Newsletter
- AGIS Plus Text* - search on topic – select ‘Set email alert for this search’.
- Lexis Nexis Content Notifier – this alert is free but charges apply to access full-text content.
- Westlaw AU* - create a OnePass account to set up alerts in Westlaw.
- Victorian Government Reports – ‘Publications’ RSS.
- Australian Institute of Criminology – select ‘Subscribe’ at the bottom of the homepage; select the Crime and Justice alerts box.
- Sentencing Advisory Council – Go to ‘Contact us’, select ‘Feedback and general enquiries’, request to be added to the mailing list.
- Trove - search on topic, e.g. judicial stress and wellbeing - scroll to bottom of results and click ‘Subscribe to this web feed.
- Legal publishers, e.g. Federation Press, select ‘Newsletter Subscriptions’ - new title alert.
- Capital Monitor* - requires an individual login.
- ABC legal news
- ABC Law Report
- The Australian legal affairs - susbscribe to the Business Review alert or follow on Facebook or Twitter
- Parliament of Victoria news
- New Zealand Law Society news
- Google Alerts (requires Gmail). Tips for creating effective Google Alerts.
- Wolters Kluwer blog – choose from employment, legal, tax or accounting blogs.
- Victorian Government social media
- Law Institute of Victoria social media
- Twitter, e.g. Victoria Legal Aid; The Law Library of Victoria
- Facebook, e.g. Aboriginal Victoria Facebook
- YouTube, e.g. Family Court of Australia
- Law blogs e.g. Melissa Castan 30 blogs to follow; Legal Sourcery
^ Charges may apply for Jade Professional
* Charges apply. Judicial officers and court staff who require assistance should contact their court librarian.